Home buying is at the top of your list. It may sound easy. After all, what do you have to do? Look online, schedule some viewings, and then cross your fingers that your bid will be the winning one.
OK. That is one strategy. But have you factored in all of the other parts of home buying? Choosing a real estate agent, applying for a mortgage, accounting for closing costs, moving…Yes, there’s much more involved in home buying than you may think.
However, that doesn’t mean that home buying has to be difficult and don’t let the tasks involved deter you. To take the challenge out of your home buying experience and make it a successful one, take a look at these 19 resources:
- If you are dipping your toe into the home buying pool for the first time, where do you start? With the Massachusetts First Time Home Buyer’s Guide. (Plus, Fairway Independent Mortgage is a MassHousing Top 10 Partner Lender)
- Home buying isn’t one-size-fits-all. Whether you are a veteran or want to purchase a home in a rural area, you can find specific mortgage products for specific situations. It’s all there.
- It’s one thing to want to buy a home; it’s another to be able to afford one. To get a sense of your financial readiness, use this mortgage calculator to help you with your home buying budget. Even better – it includes taxes and interest in its calculations.
- Once you know what you may qualify for, you should know what you can afford. These two aspects are different. This link can help you make the right financial decisions that are comfortable for your situation.
- Who doesn’t like a deal? And guess what – you can find some, even when it comes to home buying. Of course, you need to qualify, but these home buying assistance programs can go a long way. It even lists available programs by city/town.
- Do you know what can influence how much you pay for a home? Where you live! Here is an overview of some of the places to live in the wonderful state of Massachusetts.
- You also need someone to help you handle that purchase – a trusted REALTOR®! Narrow down your search by state and city, among other filters. Or ask the Murphy Mortgage Team for a recommendation. We can suggest REALTORS®, who strive for the same level of excellence that we do.
- Adjustable or Fixed? Conventional Mortgage? USDA? Oh my! There is a lot of financial jargon involved in buying a home. This resource can help you sort through the different types of mortgages.
- Need help with your mortgage application? Don’t understand how interest rates work? Take the mystery out of mortgages.
- Understand your purchase and sales contract and other legal aspects using a real estate attorney. You can filter your search based on state, city, qualifications, etc. Or better yet, ask the Murphy Mortgage Team for a recommendation. We work with some fantastic attorneys with over a decade of experience and thousands of closings under their belt.
- Some loan programs require a down payment. Did you know that amount may be a gift? Check out this article for more details.
- If you like a great collection of home buying links – all about home buying – all in one place, this link may be up your alley.
- Back to school! If reading documents online isn’t always your thing, you can get together in person with others for a great learning opportunity – that’s free too!
- There’s an important step in home buying – finding the right home! You can use our online search tool to look at homes in your area, another area, and anywhere you want, all from the comfort of your comfy couch. Plus, you’ll get a monthly home buyer’s report.
- Of course, the cost of a home doesn’t end once you have completed the transaction. Homes require regular maintenance so that they remain in good shape. Here are some basic maintenance tips to help take care of your home and plan for it.
- Once you buy your home, there is a very important next step: moving! Moving day, and the tasks leading up to it, can easily become overwhelming. This handy checklist can make your move that much easier.
- If you want to use a winning strategy in your home buying quest, another great resource is The Path to Homeownership E-Book. This comprehensive guide will discover home buying tips from start to end and everything in between. It’s easy to read, easy to understand, and best of all, easy to get.
- Need to organize, paint, pretty up, or renovate? You will find hints, tips, house tours, and suggestions so that your new house becomes your amazing home. Inspiration abounds!
- There’s the inside of your home – and then there’s the outside. Whether you have a large yard or a quaint balcony, outdoor decorating can beautify all areas of your abode. Take a peek at plants, landscaping, decor, and more.
Congratulations on making it to the end of our comprehensive list of home buying resources! Whether you are a first-time home buyer or an experienced one, we hope you found this resource list helpful. If you’re ready to take the next step, sign up for Homebot and get started on your personalized home search.
And as always, don’t hesitate to reach out by phone at 508-407-8300 or email BillMurphyTeam@fairwaymc.com if you have any questions – we’re happy to help!